A chilly house is just one sign that your house may be losing heat. There are other clues to watch out for as well. Listed below are three major signs of heat loss and what you can do to fix the problems. Many you can do yourself and others may require a professional.
3 Signs of Heat Loss
1. Drafts around doors and windows
If you can feel a cool air coming in around doors and windows, chances are warm air is getting out.
2. Visual gaps around outlets and fixtures
Gaps and holes in your home provide entryways for outside air to enter. These gaps can be spotted quickly...look for gaps where walls and floors meet (especially on exterior walls), around electrical outlets, and where fans and recessed lighting connect to the ceiling.
3. No frost on the roof when other roofs have frost
If your neighbors have frost or snow on their roof and you don't, then heat is escaping and melting the frost or snow on the roof.
How to fix heat loss problems
- Install weather stripping around doors and windws or use a rolled up towel or draft stopper to block gaps
- Apply plastic shrink insulation on windows
- Caulk cracks around window and door trim
- Hang heavy drapes or curtains
- Seal leaks around fixtures
- Add attic insulation and ensure ductwork is adequately sealed
The most accurate way to determine where your home is losing heat is by having a professional conduct a home energy audit.